This is a little brick kiosk at the junction of Adelaide Road and Leeson Street. It was designed by Michael Moynihan (who also did the public toilets at St. Stephen’s Green) in 1929 as a water pressure station, public toilets and kiosk, and it’s currently home to a small cafe.
It’s a landmark. Tiny buildings have an advantage in being automatically cute, especially freestanding ones that can do their small details well and not fuss about how to join to neighbours. Mostly, though, it’s really visible because of its site: a small traffic island in the delta made by the junction, much more visible in its clearing than the terraces of buildings on Leeson Street.
The masonry (brickwork) is good, well-maintained and has visual interest like the 45º chevron pattern on parts of the two long elevations (or sides). The parapet – the stone extension of the wall that continues above the roof – has the city’s coat of arms displayed on it. Built for such a utilitarian purpose, the building itself is jaunty and pleasing to look at even without the striped cafe awnings and hanging baskets.